."

Monday, August 13, 2012

Basil Pesto

I've been talking about it for half the summer, and any time someone sees my basil plants they have the same reaction: "You should make pesto!".  So here I am, finally making some pesto.



You'll need:

At least 2 cups of basil (I probably used nearly double that)
1-2 garlic clove, peeled
1/4 cup slivered/sliced almonds, toasted (or whatever kind of nuts you'd like)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
1/4-1/2 cup olive oil, depending on how much basil you use (I used an amount in between)
1-2 tbs water (again depending on how much basil you use)
salt and pepper, to taste

In your food processor (or blender), pulse the basil, garlic, nuts, and cheese until things have broken down a bit.



With the food processor on, stream in the olive oil and water.

Taste, and season with salt and pepper.  And voila!



You can do any number of things with your new pesto: add it to pasta, slather it atop some fish or chicken, use it as a spread on sandwiches, etc.  I've chosen to freeze mine (after consuming a spoon-ful straight from the bowl!) in ice cube trays and save it for later use.  Once it's frozen, I'll pop the cubes out, and stash them in a ziploc bag.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment or question. I'm always just happy to know that someone is reading my blog! =)