."

Monday, November 7, 2011

Brown Rice Salad w/ Tomatoes, Spinach, Black Beans, & Feta

I would like to start this post with a disclaimer, and an apology of sorts.  I know I've seen this recipe (or one very very similar to it) on someone's blog.  I could have sworn that I bookmarked it, but can't seem to find the original post.  If you would like to lay claim to it, or know who should get credit for it, please let me know!  Sorry, guys.


This is a tasty, healthy, lunch option.  It's great hot, cold, or room temperature.  And it's super simple to make.


You'll need:


1 cup brown rice
2 cups water
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 tbs olive oil
1 bag baby spinach
1 tsp salt
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
feta cheese, crumbled


Cook brown rice according to package directions.  Mine indicated that I should combine 1 cup uncooked brown rice and 2 cups of water in a saucepan over medium-high heat, until it comes to a boil.  Turn the heat back down to low, and cover for 40-50 minutes or until the rice is done.


While the rice is cooking, heat the olive oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat, just until the garlic is a little fragrant.  Add the spinach to the pan and stir to coat with the olive oil.  The spinach should start wilting pretty quickly.  Keep stirring it around every now and then so that everything gets nice and wilted.  You can also put a lid on your skillet and walk away for a few minutes to speed up the wilting process.  Toss the salt in there while you're at it.


Once the spinach is wilted, try and refrain from eating all of it out of the pan.  Add the tomatoes and allow them to break down a little bit.  Once the tomatoes are giving off their juices, you can go ahead and add the black beans.  


After the brown rice is done, toss that in the skillet too.  Stir everything around to combine.  Feel free to add some feta cheese, to taste.  






You can eat this piping hot, room temperature, or cold.  It's fantastic no matter what you choose.


Also, I'm on Pinterest now!  Feel free to follow me @hankycowtipper.  I really have no idea what I'm doing on there, but will figure it out sooner or later. 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds terrific and it would be perfect for meatless lunch. I love your photo. Have a great evening. Blessings...Mary.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment or question. I'm always just happy to know that someone is reading my blog! =)