."

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Chipotle Chicken Pumpkin Ale Chili

Autumn has officially arrived.  The weather has been cooler, I'm all stocked up on fall-scented candles, and I bought a 6-pack of Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale.  I'm all set.  A bottle of said pumpkin ale makes an appearance in this chicken chili.

I found this recipe on the blog Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch, and have modified it very slightly.

You'll need:

2 tbs olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 whole chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 chicken breasts, cubed
2 tbs chili powder
1 tbs cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbs adobo sauce, from peppers
12 oz. pumpkin ale (I used Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale)
4 cups chicken broth
2 whole sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 large bell pepper, diced (any color, though orange, yellow, or red would be preferable)
Plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream) & shredded cheese, for garnish

In a large pot over medium-high heat, saute the onion in olive oil until it starts to caramelize a bit.  I used my Dutch oven.  Then add the chipotle peppers and garlic.  Saute until fragrant.

Add the chicken and all of the spices, including the adobo sauce and salt.  Stir around, and saute for a few minutes.

Add the beer and chicken broth.  Also add the sweet potatoes, beans, and bell pepper.  Bring to a simmer, then turn heat to low and cover.  Cook for at least 2 more hours.  

Garnish your bowl with a dollop of Greek yogurt and some shredded cheese.  Enjoy! 


1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment or question. I'm always just happy to know that someone is reading my blog! =)