."

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Classic Pumpkin Pie

Hi everyone!  Not that it's possible for you to have forgotten, but Thanksgiving is coming up in exactly 1 week.  We'll be spending the holiday at Sean's sister's house, and I volunteered to bring the dessert as well as some of my mom's cranberry sauce.  Keep an eye out for the recipe for the cranberry sauce and the other pie I plan to make.  Hopefully that one goes well on Thanksgiving morning so I can share it with you, because it looks like it will be awesome.

Having never made a pie before, I wanted to practice a bit before the holiday came, in order to work out any potential issues.  

I found this recipe on the side of a can of Libby's pumpkin puree, and it can also be found here.

You'll need:

3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 large eggs
1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
1 unbaked pie shell/crust (or use this recipe, like I did)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. 

Mix the sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and cloves in a small bowl.  Set aside.

Beat the eggs in a larger bowl.  Add the pumpkin puree and sugar mixture.  Mix until combined.  Gradually add in the evaporated milk.

Pour into the pie shell.  Bake for 15 minutes at 425.  Lower the heat to 350 and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a knife or toothpick comes out cleanly when inserted near the center.  Cool on a wire rack for ~2 hours.

Serve immediately or refrigerate.



Maybe not the prettiest pie ever--the crust isn't exactly perfect--but it sure was tasty!  And I'll be making it again next week, for sure.  I'm glad I got the chance to practice before the holiday.  Even though it's difficult, I'd advise waiting the full 2 hours for it to cool.  It allows the pie to really set up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment or question. I'm always just happy to know that someone is reading my blog! =)