."

Monday, December 17, 2012

{Homemade Christmas Gifts!} - Part 3 - Homemade Peppermint Schnapps

For the third installment of homemade Christmas gifts, I bring you homemade peppermint schnapps.  Schnapps always makes me think of "The Backwards Episode" from Seinfeld.  Haven't seen it?  Go watch it.  You'll thank me.


You'll need:

2 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tbs peppermint extract
1 handle (1/2 gallon) vodka

Create a simple syrup by first boiling the water.  Once boiling, add the sugar and stir fairly continuously.  Allow it to come to a boil again and stir for a minute or so longer.  Remove from the heat and allow to cool a bit.  Add the peppermint extract and continue to cool until it comes to room temperature.

Combine the vodka and simple syrup.  Voila: homemade peppermint schnapps!


If you can wait, let it hang out and mature for a week or two.

I will be gifting mine, so I poured it into these cute little 8.5 oz swing top bottles and tied some ribbon around the neck.  I was able to get 9 bottles (plus a little extra for me) out of this batch. 

Need some help figuring out what to do with all this schnapps?  Maybe make a cocktail or two.  Here are a few ideas:
The Mint Icicle
White Lightning
Candy Cane Martini
Mint Chip; Peppermint Kiss; Icy Apple Martini

Or you could do what I was planning to do: add a little splash to some hot chocolate (preferably made using some of this homemade hot chocolate mix!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment or question. I'm always just happy to know that someone is reading my blog! =)