."

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Teriyaki Chicken

The weather in Bmore is finally starting to cool down and feel more like Fall.  Walking home after school, I even felt a little chilly as the damp breeze blew!  I am definitely not complaining about this.  Autumn weather is most definitely a welcome change from the boiling hot, surprisingly humid summers that we have here.  I'm really starting to look forward to doing some more baking, and cooking with seasonal Autumn ingredients.  After a trip to the grocery store tomorrow morning I should be able to do just that =).  Anyway, on to the latest post!


Recipe originally found at A Sweet Pea Chef.  And just like Lacey said, this teriyaki sauce is a-freaking-making.  I'll definitely be making the sauce all the time from now on!  It's waaaay better than any store bought teriyaki sauce.  Trust me.  Or make it yourself if you don't believe me!


You'll need:


Teriyaki Sauce
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tbs honey
1 tbs brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh ginger, minced (I didn't have any ginger on hand, so I omitted it)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup water
1 tbs cornstarch


Chicken
1 tsp olive oil
Boneless skinless chicken breasts (Original recipe calls for 4, but I only used 2)
Kosher salt
Black pepper
Optional garnish(es): sliced scallions or sesame seeds


Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.


To make the sauce, combine the soy sauce, honey, brown sugar, garlic, ginger (if you have any, unlike me), and vinegar over medium heat in a small saucepan.  Stir frequently.


Dissolve the cornstarch in water in a small bowl and add to the saucepan.  Cook for 6-8 minutes until thickened, stirring frequently.


To make the chicken, heat the olive oil in a large, oven safe skillet or pan over high heat.  Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.

Place the chicken in the heated skillet and cook on one side until golden-brown (~5-6 minutes).  Flip the chicken over, pour the teriyaki sauce over and in between the chicken and slide the skillet into the oven.


Bake the chicken for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.


Drizzle the chicken with the teriyaki sauce left in the skillet.  Serve with steamed rice (I went with brown rice) and garnish with scallions and/or sesame seeds if you'd like.



Next time (and there will definitely be a next time) I think I'll steam up some veggies to go alongside the chicken.  Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing!

2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment or question. I'm always just happy to know that someone is reading my blog! =)